Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Celebrating with an emotional cocktail

I read the phrase "emotional cocktail" in a post today and it seems very appropriate in regard to my thoughts about the upcoming holiday. A lot of people will be hosting parties on the fourth or this weekend where family will be gathered and everyone will enjoy food and some type of "cocktails".
As a parent of an addicted loved one, although I am looking forward to the family party this weekend I will be partaking of several " emotional cocktails " while there. It will be great to see my family, especially my nieces and nephews that I see less and less often as they grow up and move on with their lives. Lives that are so foreign to me compared to the life my son has chosen. I find joy in their successes and savor the sweet emotional cocktail that brings. I will watch my daughter enjoy being with her cousins and be wishing that her brother was there to share that with her. The emotional cocktail of his absence and the memory of times when he was there laughing and joking will be bittersweet. I truly hope that one day, he will find his recovery and everyone will be able to " drink in" the presence of the beautiful boy who for now is trapped inside the ugly monster that holds him prisoner. Cheers everyone, and have a wonderful holiday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry your son won't be sharing in your family celebration. I am feeling that same pain knowing I won't be seeing my son this 4th of July which was always such a fun family holiday for us.

Hopefully one day very soon our blogs will be filled with wonderful words of recovery.

Hugs to you, my friend.

Manju Modiyani said...

Hello Sheri. I am your new follower and you have a lovely space. Do visit my blogs in your spare time. Thanks :)

http://manjuzkitchen.blogspot.in/
http://andmylifegoeson.blogspot.in/